- Mustard color is so hot right now. Be aware that not everyone is cut out for this hue. If it’s not your thing, try rust or burnt orange.
- Polka dots. On anything. This scarf from Zara goes with just about everything.
- Capes. I know it sounds weird but they’re a really good transition piece from summer to winter coat. Best worn with skinny pants so your shape doesn’t get lost.
- Blazers: great for work, going out, or weekend shopping. Surprisingly, Forever 21 has great blazers that fit well and won’t break the bank!
- Going out on the town? I couldn’t think of anything sexier right now than the deep V neckline. Remember that double sided tape is your best friend if you plan to experiment with this look.
- While mini skirts/dresses were in for spring and summer, try something a little longer this season. If full length is your thing, Maxi’s are definitely still in (especially with a cozy sweater). Mini skirts and LBD’s are still the exception for a night out on the town, of course!
- PLAID! This is my favorite look of the season. Like many styles from last year, this one is still hanging on but it’s been taken to a different level. My rule for this year is the more preppy it is, the better. Tommy Hilfiger has a ton of plaid options…
- Brown leather skirts. A little more length than your average skirt goes a long way here. H&M has some really great picks right now for around $25.
- Reuse your summer florals underneath a blazer or as an accent piece to freshen up a fall outfit.
- Tights! Have fun with them. They can keep you warm when the temperature drops and also extend the wear of your summer dresses so you get more for your money. Just please don’t go too crazy…
- The experts say that choker necklaces are trending this autumn. I can’t say quite yet whether I will get on board with this one or not. Crazier things have happened. I remember when the thought of skinny jeans was appalling to me. Things change.
- Structured bags. So in and so classy. If you can, try to stray from your go-to black bag and try something like this…
- Smoky metallic eye make up. Instead of black, try a rich brown.
- Red lipstick. The rules are for a fair complexion, a blue-based color works best. A dark complexion calls for deeper reds. Any goes for medium skin tone. But of course, don’t over do your eye make up if you choose to rock bold lips. My fav is from Nars…
- Nail polish has been around forever but this season its popularity reaches new heights. My best advice here is to get creative, have fun, and experiment. Investing in nail polish is always going to be cheaper than professional manis/pedis, so learn to love the act of doing it yourself. Want specifics? Tune into our next group post where we’ll share each of our collections and show you which trendy techniques are our favs.
- A killer pair of boots. Spend the extra money. It’s worth it. Think about how much you wear boots throughout the fall and all winter long. My fav brand is Frye, you can’t beat the quality and most of their styles are timeless.
2011 fall fashion overview: A modern take on ’60s and ’70s style is huge right now. Try preppy one day and polished the next. Rock the skinnies today and high waisted bell-bottoms tomorrow. Don’t retire your summer wardrobe, get creative and mix the two. Most of all, if you want to try something new and different, do it. What’s the worst that can happen? Don’t forget to have fun with it!
What do you plan to wear this season?